Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Step 1 - find a bike.

On Saturday, I was checking out the bike section of a vintage auto show. Later that day, I was listening to some Richard Thompson, which spurred me on to look at old Triumphs, Nortons, and Vincents. A friend of mine is restoring a BSA Goldstar, and I went to look at his restoration blog...
After realizing that I'd spent the better part of an afternoon looking at bikes and reading up on Cafe Racer conversions, I sent a buddy this message -
"Dude... I'm in trouble. I've spent the afternoon reading up on bikes and cafe racer conversions."

I quickly received an invitation to a Facebook group of local bikers, and he told them what I'd said. Another friend in the group found a few potentials, picked one up, and offered to sell it to me. Less than two days after feeling the itch, I'd wheeled this into the shop (which by luck, I rent with four members of the bike group)



1970 Yamaha RT1 360cc. Dirty... Very dirty. She's missing parts, doesn't start, needs re-cabling and wiring, no title... Also, it's not a bike that's frequently Cafe'd. But I've got a bike. If I lose faith in this one, I can always sell or part it out.

Step one complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment